Thursday, September 23, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Older, wiser, smoother moves

Believe it or not, there are a few advantages to getting older.

Take yesterday’s hockey game:

I saw Angie digging for the puck in the corner, then carry it behind the opposing team’s net. I was already sliding in from my defensive position on the blue line and called for the puck.

Angie saw me, passed the puck without hesitation, right onto the tape of my stick. I fired a low shot.


["Send me in coach": photo GH, circa 1960]

I saw the puck fly through the 4-inch space between the goalie’s pads just before it closed.

The puck hit the back of the net. Game on.

Take this morning:

I heard my wife leave the bathroom and head toward the kitchen while I listened to a weather update on my bedside radio.

I heard the rush of water through pipes under the bedroom floor and the water tap turn off in the kitchen.

I waited 5 more minutes under a warm blanket pulled up to my shoulder. Then I got up and sauntered toward the kitchen.

A fresh cup of coffee, in my favourite mug, was on the counter. One milk, half a sugar.

I may not be as young as I used to be, but my timing - at least in a few important matters - is growing much sharper.

***

Any other advantages from your point of view?

Please read another episode of It Strikes Me Funny.

.

No comments: