Friday, April 8, 2011

Climate Change Concerns: I’m a big, slow steamroller, baby

I predict the song ‘Steamroller Blues’ by Sweet Baby James Taylor will make a comeback in the future.

(Maybe ‘Handy Man’ too!)

Get ready to slow dance, get ready for the big dip.


You remember the song? Here's part of it, if you don't.

Steamroller Blues / James Taylor

Well, I'm a steamroller, baby
I'm bound to roll all over you.
Yes, I'm a steamroller, baby
I'm bound to roll all over you.
I'm gonna inject your soul with some sweet rock 'n roll
And shoot you full of rhythm and blues.
Well, I'm a cement mixer
A churning urn of burning funk.
(Link to lyrics)

Undeniably, it's a fantastic song. Right?

Well, whether it's fantastic or not, it did come to mind recently while I read the following Letter to the Editor:

“Almost every day now we get one more bad news story about the damaged Fukushima nuclear power station. Most recently, there have been reports about radiation contamination of the local food.

“Suddenly, wind power doesn’t look so sinister, does it?”
(April 4, D. Nielsen, London Free Press)

I thought to myself, is this the best way to promote wind as an alternative source of energy?

Mr. Nielsen is likely directing his words toward those who oppose the building of turbines for a variety of reasons, e.g., related to health, a spoiled view, the cost per unit, maintenance costs, the high price paid to builders for each kwh of energy, and more.


Some opponents of turbines also feel our Premier has been a bit of steamroller as he promotes - or pushes - alternative energy sources and is not open to much discussion.

Feeling that one is “not being heard” is irksome, I would admit.

(But 'sinister'? The word doesn't spring to my mind, but then my head is little - and round. And I ask you: Is part of the high price the same cost any premier would have to pay - whatever political stripe - in order to stimulate the development of a big, new industry in Ontario? Our province's automotive and manufacturing industries do struggle when competing against cheap labour in other countries. Clothing, hardware and grocery stores are increasingly filled with goods “Not Made in Canada.” Sorry, I digress).


["Wind turbines SE of Deforest City, ONT": photos GH]

So, all of the above being said, some citizens of Ontario simply hear the name Premier McGuinty and costly wind turbines and ‘Steamroller Blues’ springs to mind.

“Well, I'm a cement mixer
A churning urn of burning funk.”


However, something more sinister than our Premier is afoot. (For some readers, I know that may be hard to believe).

Talk about your steamroller!

More to follow.

***

Please click here for more Climate Change Concerns.

.

No comments: