Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Ollie and Me: “So. What’s a date square?”

My grandson and I head over to The Roaster together at least once a week after I pick him up from school.

The kid is usually famished after a long day of counting and singing and writing and busting the teacher’s chops about how long story time should be. Longer.


The other day I introduced him to date squares.

“What’s in it?” he asked.

I’m a retired teacher. There’s no such thing as a short answer.


["Just wait 'til Ollie gets a load of this": photos GH]

Dates. A date is like an apple, it grows on a tree. The trees don’t grow in Canada. It’s like a large raisin, it’s brown in the middle. It’s like a cherry or olive, it has a pit, so you have to be careful when you eat it. It’s made into a square. Each square is made from a pound of sugar and butter and oatmeal. It’s delicious.

Ollie loved it. And he ate it properly. With his fingers.

Later, my wife took another teaching approach. She bought a small container of dates with a picture on top.


So. What’s a parnoosh? I’ve got to know before Ollie gets here.

***

Please click here for more Ollie and Me and learn to ‘pick up the pace.’

.

No comments: