Thursday, April 14, 2011

Fun and Fitness: Old man keeps on churning, keeps on smiling

[The best player on the opposing team said the following yesterday while the Zamboni made its last pass on the ice:

“Take it easy on me today, Gord. I’m not as slim as you are.”

Then he patted his stomach.

I responded jokingly, skated to my bench, thought that maybe he was mocking me, so during the last shift of the game I made him pay.]


I’m sure many people look at me and wonder how I stay so fit and trim, and how I keep such a well-balanced, positive nature.

I can’t blame them. I surprise myself some days.

I put the ‘fit and trim’ down to my exercise routine: I ride a recumbent exercise bike at least 100 miles per week, lift light weights while doing so, and step in front of big guys on the ice just to send shivers down their spine. (It keeps the adrenalin pumping!)


["79.2 miles so far this week. Plus, 330.2 EXTRA mi. in the bank": photos GH]

I put the ‘well-balanced, positive nature’ (oh, I’m sure you’ve noticed) down to my reading routine: While I ride, I read. Two books - usually with different or contrasting topics - on the go at a time.

E.g., I just finished Tar Sands Showdown. Next up - A Star Called Henry, by Roddy Doyle. (Roddy is such a good writer. I recommend any of his books. And watch the movie The Commitments, then find the story of Roddy’s that inspired it).


And after I finish ‘by Hook or by Crook’ (a journey through Wales and England in search of interesting language forms) I’ll switch to ‘Under a Green Sky’ (global warming, mass extinctions of the past).


Ride and read. Read and ride. Balance. And hockey, just for the sheer fun of it.

It works for me.

***

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness.

And if you click on the ‘fun and fitness’ label below, who knows where you’ll end up. On the ice?

.

No comments: