Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Live Small and Prosper: A long history with small cars and bikes

In 1969 I visited Bermuda with a friend instead of holing up in our apartment near the university and studying for final exams.

I flunked Economics 21 but fell in love with VWs and scooters.


[GAH on Main Street, Hamilton, Bermuda, April 1969: photo by Scott Bradford]

As I recall Scott and I hit most of the pubs in Bermuda while skimming around on 50cc Honda scooters. ‘Twas a blast.

In 1970 I purchased a ’64 bug of my own for $400.


[1964 VW in context]

I paid it off in 10 monthly installments and learned how to steer with one hand while scraping ice off the windshield with the other.


[1964 bug interior in context]

“I’ll get the defroster fixed next week, Dear!”

My second favourite car is the Honda Civic. We’re now driving our third.

Though my 125cc Yamaha Vino was amazing I yearn for a 250cc Honda scooter.

Its weight and range are more appealing after two years on a 1000cc Virago.

Click here to read: Do you drive a car that sips gas slowly?]

.

2 comments:

Mojo said...

My first car was a 1964 VW Beetle that I "inherited" from my dad who had purchased it new in 1964. I have all manner of fond memories of that car, most of which are related to finding 6-volt electrical components, the weekly adjustment of a nearly-gone clutch, a zero-CFC A/C (we galled it the 260 air conditioner -- 2 open windows at 60 mph), and strangest of all, the filler neck for the gas tank being in the boot (which was, of course, under the front deck lid) and most memorable of all, the time I managed to achieve a terminal velocity of 81 mph while carrying five passengers (plus me). It was the most utilitarian vehicle ever built. No radio, no carpet, basically nothing that wasn't a requirement for the car to pass inspection and get from Point-A to Point-B. After serving 12 solid years under my dad's command, it survived a mere 18 months left to the tender mercies of a 16-year-old, perpetually broke high school student before succumbing to a broken push rod that rendered it inert. And so it was that it was sold for parts to the local independent shop in 1977 for a monstrous $90. I've had many cars and trucks and bikes since, but you never forget your first.

G. Harrison said...

geez, mojo,

you stirred up so many memories. i need a moment.

...

ok, i'm fine.

the darn reserve tank never worked so i carried a piece of hockey stick to check gas levels.

water leaked into the back and i had ice on the floor all winter.

what heater?!

i only got $50 for mine, too many broken parts to recall, and the bugger drove back in two weeks - good as new. i need another moment.

i loved it.

cheers,

GAH