Saturday, September 13, 2008

Grocery Store Blues: Excellentes avec du Sirop d’erable! Maybe not.

Yesterday, I worked through lunch in the shop and when I walked into the kitchen at 2 p.m. I was starving and could have eaten anything.

Well, almost anything.

Nothing jumped out at me from the fridge so I looked in a cupboard, saw pancake mix, the picture on the box of three fat syrup-covered ones (add blueberries and I might live on the stuff) and had it in my hand when I read the following:

“Excellentes avec du Sirop d’erable pur a 100% PC”

Because I didn’t fully understand I read the English translation which included “just add water!”

And I immediately thought:

How healthy is this PC stuff, and what is it made of, if all I have to do is add water?

No milk or eggs? Blueberries?

Sure. It’s delicious with 100% Pure Maple Syrup but so is the cardboard box.


[A better idea: Photo link]

I put it away for a future motorcycle trip (for a morning when I’m too lazy to walk to a store for fresh supplies) and cooked up a three-egg omelette - with corn, Parmesan, red pepper and onion.

Was I better off?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes.

I haven't bought pancake mix in months now, I have a lovely wholewheat receipe which makes fluffy yet filling pancakes. And it's almost as easy as just adding water.

G. Harrison said...

hi jesse,

i'm retired, as you know, and have time to learn a new recipe.

plus. PC stuff - easy because it's highly processed - doesn't fly with me.

care to share?

cheers,

gord h.