Monday, September 15, 2008

Motorcycle Miles: Discovering Canada in one pair of pants

I wouldn’t care if my wife and I didn’t own a car.

I can get along without one 6 days of every week.

(“And on the seventh day Gord needed supplies.”)

Seven days most weeks if I really tried.


[What is this!!]

I would care if I had to live without a motorcycle, though I can smell a day coming when I would actually make that sacrifice.

(“Mr. Harrison. You’re 87 and blind in one eye. Give it up!”)

But I definitely wouldn’t care if I never passed another RV again on a bike or had one pass me on a curve.

RVs for some reason remind me of so many things that are outta whack in our North American society.

Now, I didn’t say RVs are wrong or evil or stupid... but they’re something... a big, fat something.

What are they?

.

4 comments:

carmilevy said...

Every time I see an RV, I keep thinking about how some wealthy folks among us believe they have an inalienable right to do so simply because they can afford to foot the bill.

It's thinking like this, the total detachment from the impact of their actions, that bugs me.

I have relatives who follow a different path. Could likely afford to buy any car they want. But bought a Prius instead and drive it only when they need to. The rest of the time, they walk and ride their bikes because it's, in their words, the right thing to do.

RVs are a sign of a way of life that simply has to change if we're going to have any hope of turning this runaway train around.

G. Harrison said...

carmi,

i say 'well done' to your relatives!

i really am leaning toward a bicycle too, because I can reach 95% of the supplies I need so easily in Wortley Village. forward thinking plus I need the exercise.

my Miele road bike is nice but I need an old standard for the front porch (once the reno is done).

when my camera is back i'll do a series of photos of things that bug me - RVs will be high on the list.

cheers,

gord h.

Phronk said...

I've lived without a car for a few months, and I can count the times I've missed it on one hand. It helps that I live downtown...but I guess spread out suburbs where one can't live without a car (or RV) is another sign of the way of life that needs to change.

G. Harrison said...

i agree, phronk.

sprawl and car dependence will one day be referred to as costly dinosaurs.

it does help to live downtown or in a spot like Wortley Village, as I do. If I can convince my wife our current Civic will be our last car.

(We were without for 16 months but she couldn't manage.)

cheers,

gord h.