Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Get Mail: The porridge drawer may still be in use in Scotland

After a recent post re my love for porridge (the thicker the better, eh) jesse wrote:

“My father told me of a story about a university student in Scotland in the 60s who was diagnosed with scurvy.”

“The reason he had it?

“He'd made a huge drawerful of porridge, let it go hard and cut a slice off when he was hungry. That's all he ate.

“I've just done a google search and apparently there are references to the "porridge drawer" where you'd put the leftovers of breakfast to cut off a slice for snacks.

“I thought it was just a tall story (my dad had lots of them) but maybe there's some truth in it.”


Oh, there’s truth in it and somewhere in Scotland a wee old man is opening a porridge drawer and saying,


["opening a porridge drawer": photo in context]

“Aach. If oonly I heed a handful of raisins ta thrrow inta this last wee bit, it would be soo fine noo wouldden it, ehh.”

Yes, it would.

Have you bought your own rolled oats yet, people?

Get moore than a wee bit though, would ya, ehh.

[And while you’re at it, find out what some students did (related to oatmeal) on turn-around week.]


.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I'm glad you enjoyed my photo. I should point out that I didn't actually EAT any of the porridge from the drawer and by the end of the exhibition it was pretty gross. I did make huge pots of fresh porridge at the private view though and that was very popular; it's much nicer with fruit, spices, honey, nuts and cream.