Friday, September 26, 2008

Powered by Oatmeal: You decide - Is this a recipe for success?

Many years ago, after returning home from my paper route, I’d be greeted with a warm hello from my weary mother and some type of hot cereal in a bowl.

Par for the course:

Cream of wheat, Vita-B, Red River cereal or oatmeal.

(Honey Nut Cheerios had not yet been invented and if they had my mother would only have purchased the plain - if at all. Pennies mattered in the 1950s and ‘60s. Still do.)

Fast forward.


It’s 2008, I read the paper but don’t deliver it and cook big batches of rolled oats to get me through fall and winter.

I should sew the following onto my hockey jersey:

“Watch Out! Powered by Oatmeal.”

Last time I put my recipe in print I received the following email:

“Gordon, what’s with the nonsense of cooking up your oats for a whole week and adding cream of wheat and bran etc.? Just doesn’t add up to oatmeal.” Pearl S.

Come on, Pearl. Give it a try.

Gord’s Hot Pot Oatmeal:

Put 1.5 liters of water on the boil. (More as needed)

Stir in 1.25 cups of rolled oats; 0.25 cups of wheat bran, corn meal and/or cream of wheat

Reduce heat to low-medium

Add, as desired, diced raisins and cranberries, whole currants, sesame or flax seeds, ground almonds or walnuts and enough water to keep the mix slightly runny. (Martha Stewart I’m not!)

Cooking time - 10 to 12 minutes. Makes 10 - 12 hearty servings.

Readers, does this sound to your liking?

Pearl?

.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's seldom a week that goes by in which I don't make myself at least one bowl of oatmeal. I've never tried making up a large batch and storing it though. Is it as good reheated after being in the fridge?

Anonymous said...

My father told me of a story about a university student in Scotland in the 60s who was diagnosed with scurvy. The reason he had it? He'd made a huge drawerful of porridge, let it go hard and cut a slice off when he was hungry. That's all he ate. I've just done a google search and apparently there are references to the "porridge drawer" where you'd put the leftovers of breakfast to cut off a slice for snacks. I thought it was just a tall story (my dad had lots of them) but maybe there's some truth in it.

I'll try your receipe Mr H, but I may reduce the quantities initially. I'm more of a shredded wheat and raisins and apple girl myself.

G. Harrison said...

hi greg,

i only make big batches and have learned it is 95 per cent as good when reheated.

i put cold oatmeal in a bowl, slice into small pieces, add milk and nuke it for about 2 min. 30 sec.

i've kept it as long as 10 days in the fridge.

cheers,

gord h.

G. Harrison said...

great story, jesse.

i'll add my own related porridge story and together the two will make a fine post.

i've heard of the porridge drawer (and potato drawer) but have never seen one in Canada. we have whisky drawers which hide the occasional bottle of Scotch but never porridge.

the whole wheat pancakes are AOK! we actually had buttermilk in the house this week for another recipe, so i halved your recipe - fine for Pat and I.

i'm no purist, like Pearl (wherever she may be) re oatmeal and like to add anything that's hearty and handy. but maple syrup is definitely my sweetener of choice.

have fun.

cheers,

gord h.