Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Point of View: True Canadians make their own pancakes

I love self-reliant people and hope to be one someday.

And while my whole wheat buttermilk pancakes are browning up I’ll type this quick post that proves I’m moving one step closer to my goal.

About two weeks ago I turned my nose up at a batch of PC pancakes because I questioned how healthy pancakes could be if I only had to add water to the mix.

Though a line on the box proclaimed “Excellentes avec du Sirop d’erable pur a 100% PC” I thought, sure, it’s delicious with 100% Pure Maple Syrup - but so is the cardboard box.


[Maple syrup: photo link]

I made an omelette instead, posted a few salient thoughts and was later sent a recipe for whole wheat pancakes by Jesse.

Speaking of, I’d better flip my breakfast. Be right back.

A few minutes ago, while mixing healthy ingredients, I wondered how people came up with the correct amounts when adding eggs, butter, baking powder or soda.

Was there a lot of the following in a country kitchen several years back?

“Here Billy, try this one. It’s got less baking soda so you won’t wince.”

“How about this one with a touch of oil. Does it slide down easier or still make you gag?”

Gotta rush. My own breakfast is ready.


While I eat, read over Jesse’s recipe.

She halves it, using the whole egg, for herself and two children and I did the same for my wife and I.

Whisk together:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
 
Add:

1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons butter or oil
 A bit more milk if necessary.  Cook.

Eat.

Gord’s conclusions:

My wife and I poured maple syrup on two pancakes each and really enjoyed them.

I’ll definitely make them again, and not just to use up the buttermilk.

(I can’t drink it from the glass. It makes me gag.)

The PC factory farm pancake mix is out the door.

And now I’m one step - and stack - closer to being a True Canadian.

.

No comments: