Saturday, November 21, 2009

From The Workshop: Four-plexes hot off the workbench

Whenever I rescue a bit of barn board I think I’ll make a four-plex.

The model is easy to put together and I like the roof lines whether I apply linseed oil or paint.


Painted surfaces take longer to prepare but provide a suitable contrast to the age and texture of the barn board.


One large roof panel can be removed to provide access to the second storey and the bottom can be removed (six screws) so that the three lower bunks can be cleaned each spring. Easy shmeasy, I say.

As you can see, I add bits of trim to the front using leftover lumber.


The cutting, sanding and nailing (for trim) takes about 45 minutes per four-plex but I think the end result is more pleasing to the eye, at least from my point of view.


["From rescued lumber to four-plex - easy schmeasy": photos GAH]

What does the bird think? I’m not sure.

.

No comments: