Friday, November 6, 2009

Tastes I can remember from 1964 are adding up

Don’t worry about me. I’ll find a bazaar, that bazaar will feature homemade baked goods, and among the goods will be one loaf of fresh bread - still warm from the oven.

It will certainly cost more than I paid in 1964 for a loaf of Mrs. Blackburn’s bread (50 cents then; I’m willing to go as high as $3.50 today) but if the flavor takes me fleetingly back to those early years - 45 years ago - it will be worth the search and price paid.


["Go back in time? Not often": GAH 1963 - 64]

Not that I’m stuck in the past (I only visit on rare occasions), but I do remember certain flavours from 1964.

Here’s my list so far.

The Taste of ’64:

Mrs. B’s bread

mother’s homemade soup

french fries from Goosen’s greasy spoon on Main St., Norwich

fresh strawberries from Dad’s extensive garden (in the extra lot beside our house on Washington Avenue)

corn on the cob from the same garden

straps of black licorice (2 cents per strap from Irving’s Five and Dime on Main St.)

and, chewy, medium rye bread from Luciani’s bakery, situated right beside Goosen’s restaurant

Whoa, I’d better slow down and stop. It’s past noon and I’m getting hungry.


["I'm getting hungry too. Feed me": photo GAH]

I wonder if there’s any of my wife’s homemade cabbage roll casserole left in the fridge?

Time to go and work on a whole new list of memories.

***

1964 ring a bell? Anything from the kitchen you can recall to this day?

.

No comments: