Sunday, November 22, 2009

So, the Harmonized Sales Tax has ruffled a few feathers

I haven’t said one word since Day 1 about the new HST that’s going to be implemented in the summer of 2010.

It’s not that I can’t form an opinion , or I feel summer is too far off (I own a motorcycle - so I’m always thinking about next summer), or taxes are of no interest.

It’s just that...

... firstly, some people get so hot under the collar about taxes that I back off due to the heat.

And secondly, it’s a big topic and as soon as I think “more taxes” I think “what should we expect?”

I mean, here in Ontario, how long have corporations and individuals been clamoring for lower taxes, and getting them from provincial and federal governments?


["Lower taxes prevent tooth decay"]

Wasn’t it just last week that Finance Minister Jim Flatulence was going on about how he was going to lower taxes again because that’s what everyone in the free world deserves?

Maybe it wasn’t last week, but at least last month. Turn Flatulence upside down and he’d still preach “lower taxes will even save us from tooth decay.”

So, the HST is coming.

And what should we expect after years of living in a low tax environment?

I have more problems with those that demand we scrap the HST than I have with a consumption tax of some kind.

***

Will the HST bring harmony? We’ll see. More rants later.

.

No comments: