Thursday, November 19, 2009

Poor Boy with The Poor Boy Blues

The following song came to me while watching the local news last Tuesday night. I must have been suffering a fever because while nursing verses together my wife heard me cry out, where's Kate Young? Where's Kate Young?

Poor Boy with The Poor Boy Blues

I’m tired of buying groceries
from the ninety-nine cent aisle.
I’m tired of buying canned goods
that been dented for awhile.
I’d like to buy some new shoes
that seem to fit my feet.
I’d like the cashier to smile at me
like I’m on Easy Street...

...But I’m a poor boy,
But I’m a poor boy,
But I’m a poor boy,
And I’ve got the poor boy blues.


["The depression has hit my neighbour's roof": photo by GAH]

I’m tired of buying wieners
without a shred of beef.
I’m tired of buying cabbages
with holes in every leaf.
I’d like to buy a cauliflower
that doesn’t smell like cheese.
And I’d like some two-ply tissue
for my nose next time I sneeze...

I’m tired of being first in line
for each recession sale.
Sometimes I feel as useless
as a mop without a pail.
I’d like to drop my low-wage job
get a good one that’s full time.
And then I’d buy a piece of steak
an’ not the Salisbury kind...

I’m tired of drinking cheap sodee pop
to help me quench my thirst.
I’m tired of buying packages
someone else has opened first.
I’d like to buy some brand new jeans
with an expensive label on,
And I’d like to have an extra ten
and a girl to spend it on...

gah

***

More songs with affordable price tags can be found at Hit Singles.

.

No comments: