Thursday, November 26, 2009

Canada’s growth to stagnate! That can’t be good, can it?

I read a daily paper for several reasons.

I’m addicted to Dilbert. (Wally and I have so much in common. Ask me about Blue Binder Day).

To see if the Maple Leafs are out of the basement. (Yes!)

Free Sudoku.

To read articles that force me to think about the upside of down. (A positive mindset will help during the tough times ahead).

Fifteen days ago I clipped ‘Canada’s growth to stagnate’ and - my gosh - it’s a good one, because it attempts to predict what the next decade will be like, not just next week or the month after Christmas when the Visa bill comes due, and though ‘stagnate’ doesn’t sound all that positive (definition - motionless, dull or sluggish; related to stagnicolous i.e., living in swamps), already I’m thinking there’s a silver lining.

I mean, if you live in a swamp, raise your hand.

See that? Not too many of you. Already we can say that life could be worse. And very damp.

And though the article deals with the next ten years (“It may one day be remembered as the lost decade, in economic terms. A new report published by the TD Bank says Canada is headed for a decade of stagnant growth that will test the budgets of Canadian households and governments alike.”) I think there is an upside to looking that far down the path.

You might have been thinking, I wonder what June, 2016 will be like.

Well, now you’ll know.

***

A lot of good can come out of a lost decade.

Remember, most of us have lived through ten years of polyester. And we survived.

.

1 comment:

sudoku online said...

I like Dilbert too. I guess nobody predicted the actual crisis.

Carolina