Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Workshop: A perfect pair, a perfect pot...

This afternoon, a pile of barn board I’d left on my workbench yesterday was soon assembled, and the first of two ‘Antique Shop’ birdhouses appeared.


[“Don’t let the antique pot scare you off!”: photos GH]

A few pieces of trim dressed up the face, door and bird entry way of two similar houses. (Oh yes, I have lots of trim!)


Overhead florescents cast a yellowish glow upon the pair... and gave me an idea re a future paint job.


Once a yellowish-green wash is applied, I think the deep wood grain will pop out even more than it already does.


Now, you may wonder why I keep a porcelain pot in my shop. Here’s the story.

Marjorie, a neighbour from two doors down, handed it to me last fall and said, “I thought you could use this when you're working in your shop.”

Though we had a good laugh about the banged up old thing at the time, she turned out to be right.

I now joke about using it for its original purpose in life when other neighbours pop by, and it proudly sits on a shelf and collects dust - and lots of it - along with other vintage items, e.g., my 60’s-style leather hockey helmet and beat-up hockey gloves.

Occasionally, I use it as a conversation starter.

E.g., “Got time for a beer? Want a mug? Use this.”

So far, it’s only been used once.

***

Please click here for another visit to The Workshop.

.

No comments: