Monday, January 14, 2013

Birdhouse London: Wood's innards

Lon cabin birdhouses are essentially made up of 24 logs for the four sides, two triangles (one with a hole) and 6 - 8 slats for the roof. Though I can make them fairly quickly a few things happen to slow me down.


Making trim, e.g., a telephone pole perch, slows me down. Fussy work. Cutting a 10-inch length of wood in half through the center (for roof slats: it's like taking a two-inch thick slice and bread and cutting it into two one-inch thick slices), is time-consuming as well, because once I see the wood's innards I stop to appreciate the different colours, grains and patterns.

I know some people like a painted roof. Not me, not this time.



["I like to go slow and enjoy the view"]

Photos by GH 

***

Please click here for more from The Workshop


No comments: