Thursday, November 7, 2013

Birdhouse London: Gord's 'gold mine' contest

During the last month I found two gold mines, i.e., caches of great lumber - western red cedar. The first cache was free, the second cost a small fortune but will be worth a large one after I do a fair bit of work.

["The longer board looks cleaner, and smells stronger before cutting"]

This week I will be holding a western cedar cook off inside my cozy, dusty workshop. I'm going to build a log cabin birdhouse from each lumber pile and compare the results.

["Inside the shop, I cut off a wee piece from each.
Both get top points for smelling delicious"]

Yesterday I started some of the preliminary work, i.e., I selected a board from each gold mine, cut and sanded the necessary ingredients to make a cabin and stacked the logs, slats, etc. at the side of my work bench.


Already I've had a pile of fun and the shop smells like a million bucks. This afternoon I will begin the assembly process if 'workshop tidy-up' doesn't take too long.

Stay tuned for the results.

PS Links to two gold mines are listed below

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read Gord finds a gold mine

Please click here to read Gord finds another gold mine

No comments: