Friday, November 15, 2013

Pink birdhouses? Pink?

I know. I keep going on about cedar birdhouses, my love for all things cedar, especially the rich dark colours, the delicious smell. But pink? Let me explain by way of a recent conversation:

"I love the red roof on that birdhouse," says a server at the local Red Roaster (a few houses are usually there on display) while pouring my dark roast.

["Yesterday I cut a 27-inch piece from this lovely 2 by 10"]

["Then I prepared logs and slats for cabin-style houses"]

["Soon three more will join this trio of rustic cabins"]

"Thank you," I say. "Christmas is coming."

"Do you do other colours?"

"Yes, at times," I say, thinking of the five cans of paint and well-used plastic mixing bowls under my work bench.

"Great. I'd really like a pink one," she says, and hands me my mug. "Maybe two. Before Christmas?"

"Sure, no problem," I say. (My mind turned into a knot. Aaaargh!)

I mean, what could I say?

So, today I continue work on three lovely red cedar log cabins. And two pink birdhouses... for what? Canadian flamingoes?

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to view The mishmash house

No comments: