Sunday, June 22, 2008

Free Press article helps clarify drive-thru issue (or is it drive-through?)

A one-page column by Paige Aarhus, especially five bits and bites in a right hand margin, shone light today on Deforest City’s ongoing discussion re drive-thrus.

[Click here to link to her London Free Press article.]

And because I have an opinion about everything here are a few brilliant thoughts of my own:

Clarifying where drive-thrus can go makes sense, which I think is what the city is trying to do at this time.

Restricting the location and even the number of drive-thrus makes some sense; telling the business community "no, not there" or "no, we have enough of that type of convenience" is responsible action in many cases. (E.g., as some businesses grow they leave a building on one side of town and set up shop on the other, sometimes leaving empty shells and plazas behind. Poor city planning in my opinion.)

Some local businesses have responded very loudly to 'clarification'. Imagine the ruckus when restrictions are discussed.

Much the same process occurred when smoking in school staff rooms (among other locations) was introduced in the 70s. Now, we wouldn't bat an eye to that restriction.

Drive-thrus came into being e.g. in London, 'most likely' because there was money to be made from the high and consistent traffic volumes in many parts of town, not out of a desire to help the disabled (though it may have done that too) or assist the Mom who had a baby strapped into a car seat.

Now, there are so many people on the road (leading such busy lives they don't even have 5 - 10 minutes in the morning to make their own coffee or prepare lunch for school-aged kids) that drive-thrus are huge business, and I bet most complaints from Tims, McDs etc. are tied to a concern for dependable profits (often used to pay off heavy investments).


["How can I save money with this huge Lincoln?"]

As fuel prices rise more drivers will try to find ways to save a buck. Some will start making their own coffee and lunches and - really bad news for drive-thrus - take fewer trips in the car.

I'm pretty sure when I'm motivated to put fewer kilometers per year on the old Civic I'll be driving-thru, idling in place, eating Big Macs and drinking double-doubles less.

Finally, if I wanted to make a placard it wouldn't be about drive-thrus.

I'd be trying to convince people to drive less in order to, directly and indirectly, lower our sky-rocketing carbon emissions.

All I need is a catchy slogan.

Visit the post below to see how steeply our emissions are climbing

[Where is Canada's Environment Minister and what is he doing about carbon emissions?]

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Gord, did you notice that advert in support of drive-thrus where it says "I have four small kids in a blizzard" or something like that?

I thought that is an argument against drive-thrus. I mean, a blizzard, four small kids, does the driver really need a coffee, or meal, for an additional distraction?

It is irresponsible!

G. Harrison said...

I did see that.

"4 Kids in a van. Blizzard. Drive Thrus Help."

You're right - it's an argument against their use. Good one.

I may have to borrow your comment for a post.

Thanks,

Gord H.