Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: Escape south for winter? No way, José

Neighbours went to Mexico last week, came back without a tan, and while I shoveled yet more snow from my driveway onto their lawn I thought:

“So what was the point? For Coronas and a slice of lime by the pool? Warmer temps? A break from the snow? All of the above?”

Canadian snowbirds stay away for months at a time. It’s not for me.


Some complain about the snow. I love it.

Others wonder where we’ll all put the snow from the next blizzard. I’ve already got it figured out.

Robert Frost anyone?

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
 
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.


He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

***

Hats of snow on fence posts, branches lined with frost - lovely.

.

7 comments:

Theresa said...

I'm not keen on the tropical vacation either. I just can't deal with the guilt of all those plane-generated carbon emissions. I also don't like the idea of poor people having to cater to rich people to make a living.

I've never been to Mexico or any of those places, but the idea of having a local person serve me drinks when their country is being decimated by cocoa, coffee and palm plantations because of the wants of rich people abroad would likely make me gag on my pina colada.

Plus, I like snow too. :)

G. Harrison said...

Theresa,

You hit a lot of sensitive buttons.

By reading Sliced Iguana I'm learning the first tourists (Spaniards, 1600) didn't leave Mexico in very good shape.

If it was closer I'd ride my bike to visit, the people are exceptional hosts and hostesses. However, winter time is my time to stay close to home. My workshop is pretty cozy and grandson Ollie will get a kick out of my second Thomas the Train table.

Keep well,

GAH

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

It's hot in Melbourne, a little snow seems very appealing right now. Your photo with the snow and the red berries I guess, is delightful! :)

Anonymous said...

Very nice post! I love snow too. Although after yesterdays 12 inches and todays 5? Yeah, I'm startin not to 'feel it' anymore. lol

G. Harrison said...

Hi Eaton,

Thanks for visiting Canada, all the way from Australia.

The berry bush is on a neighbour's front lawn, three doors down. Another is outside our kitchen window and the cardinals, also red, seem to love them.

If one stops long enough for me to photo, I'll post it as well.

Cheers,

GAH

G. Harrison said...

For more snow pictures, link to Sheila's site.

Cheers,

GAH

G. Harrison said...

For pictures with a bit more heat, visit Eaton's site.

GAH