Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It Strikes Me Funny: The benefits of fewer choices on store shelves Part 3

In two recent posts I’ve shared bits of an email from Andrea (a new Canadian citizen from Austria) because it proves fewer choices may be a good thing.

For example;

Fewer Choices Benefit 3: For individuals, shopping trips will be four times shorter

[See read Parts 1 and 2 for context]

Andrea: “This is just one little example, but the list of course is endless. When I want to watch TV it is hard to choose something out of 600 or more different channels. That’s why I often end up reading a book instead of zapping through all of them.”

[Did you catch it? Fewer Choices (in Reverse) Benefit 4: Having too many channels may lead to reading a good book. Excellent]


["Read good books, listen to good music - now!": photo GAH]

“It seems to me that my days are getting too short for the time I need just to make one simple decision. That is probably why I started taking yoga classes, I guess...and it seems to me that it works. But that is a different chapter.”

[Fewer Choices (In Reverse) Benefit 5: Short days lead to yoga, meditation]

“Anyways, what I wanted to say is that time is precious and for sure far too precious to waste too much of it for a little decision. Despite of all the convenience that you are offered by a thousand different choices here in Canada I sometimes miss the simple choice of a few. It can help you save your time – you have to see it from this aspect!”

“And fewer choices might not necessarily be bad ones, especially - and I definitely agree with you on that issue as well – when the choices are done wisely with regard to their origin.”


[Fewer Choices Benefit 6: A few wise choices leads to reader satisfaction]

Already looking forward to your next column!

Andrea from London

***

Live small and prosper. Love your neighbour. Pursue a simple life. Blaze a new trail. Show good humour.

.

No comments: