Wednesday, June 26, 2013

keeping the workshop alive

["small backyard workshop"]

I want to keep my workshop door open for another 25 years because I like working in my own backyard. I like participating in a creative process, doing odd, easy jobs related to woodworking almost every day, feeling productive, keeping the blood flowing, going from A to Z with a project and at the end saying "Voila!"

The following process seems to be working very well for me:

I buy and rescue decent lumber

["red cedar from a '$10 cull pile' at Home Depot"]

I cut it according to homemade plans and drawings

["one birdhouse ready for sanding"]

I sell a few items from my home and at local shops

["ready for the 'full-on' trim package, then "Voila!"]

A few sales per year keep the shop alive, the blood flowing and I'm learning that reasonable expectations lead to satisfying results and experiences. And piles of dust.

Photos by GH


Please click here to read the workshop 2

No comments: