Thursday, June 6, 2013

third generation of box builders?

I call them birdhouses. Dad called them bird boxes and he produced scores of them from plywood during his lifetime - using no power tools.

Some might say I'm following in my father's footsteps, but according to the photo below, taken in 1941 outside my grand mother's house in Norwich (a few weeks before dad sailed with the RCNVR from Halifax for Scotland on the Volendam), there may have been another birdhouse builder in the Harrison family. Did my dad pick up his hobby from his dad?

["Please note bird box, upper right corner"]

I'm not certain, of course, but I may be a third generation box builder. For certain, however, I bet good money that 'rescued lumber' was often used in the process.


["Please note bird boxes, upper right corner"]

Family photo, GH 

***

Please click here to view 'Pat's favourite photo'

Please click 'labels' below for related matters.

No comments: