Friday, June 14, 2013

royal mail in the workshop

["There is no such thing as a stupid question." G. Harrison, classroom teacher, 1971]

["A pencil sketch for a prototype. But what is it?"

Occasionally I clean out the workshop and try to sell some of the items I build there. Birdhouses, birdhouse stands, shadowboxes, LP album frames, CD frames are usually at the top of the pile. I'd say my success rate is getting better because, after six years of building this and that, I'm getting better at assembling things in an orderly manner and missing my thumb with the hammer.

Recently I was approached by a local potter. "Can you build a mailbox for me?" she asked.

I had to think about it, and I did so aloud. "I've built one in the past. It's on my front porch. It's lasted for years." (So, she'd asked a good question and I actually had an answer.)

["I've built one in the past. How about number two?"]

"Yes, I can." And she handed me her card and the game is now on.

I like a good challenge and the workshop is the happy home to many of them.

Photos by GH

***

Please click here to read 'the growing list' 

Please click labels below to check out related matters.

No comments: