Monday, June 16, 2014

East Coast 2014, Day 8

Prince Edward Island

I arrived at my sister and hubby's house south of Montague (situated on the east end of the island) on the fifth day of my motorcycle journey, Friday, June 13. My odometer read 38,450 km., 2,221 more than when I left London five days earlier. I was nicely tired right down to my heavy black boots.

["My boots bore traces of red dust from nearby farmland"]

My hosts treated me like a long lost brother, which I was in a way. I'd come a long way and got lost on at least one significant occasion. But, I soon felt at home and enjoyed typical family times wandering about a much-loved 'new' farm property. I will say now Lannie and Jim will one day have the island's biggest Harrison-style garden and access to more free potatoes than they'll ever be able to eat.

["My new digs look humble but came w many amenities"]

Today I head toward Halifax and leave red fields and thousands of quaint cottages and farms behind. And in Halifax there are several tasks to absorb my time: Research re Combined Operations during WW 2, discussions with an archivist at a world-renowned museum, a walk up and down Citadel Hill, and, most important of all, a long hike on Pennant Point, in hopes of locating a particular historic site (to me at least) on the rocky Atlantic shore.

["PEI has many distinctive coastal features. Fewer rocks than Pennant Point in this scene"]

No comments: