Sunday, June 29, 2014

Halifax and Another Hard Promise

Introduction - East Coast 2014 

 ["Pennant Point, thirty kilometres from Halifax, Nova Scotia"]

I don't often leave home for seventeen days on the back of a motorcycle and ride almost 5,000 kilometres for a set purpose. But this year I did, to PEI and then Halifax and back home to London. And when I turn 65 in September my bones may still be tired from the labours involved in such a trip.

That being said, I fulfilled many purposes. I visited a sister, her partner and home on Prince Edward Island. I added to my research materials related to my Dad's Navy days, visited historic locations where he trained for WW2 duties and later set sail for Europe. I revisited the rocky shore where I tossed his ashes into the Atlantic Ocean in June 2010, read a few meaningful words that would have, had he been present, stirred his heart, and then made another promise to him... to return one day with more of his kin.


As well, I later returned home with many rewards. Thirteen hundred photos on three cameras, instructive - and sometimes down-right excited - notes about the bike and varied experiences, and a mind awhirl with mixed, deep emotions and vivid, colourful scenes worthy of a National Film Board documentary, some of which will be presented here. 



Photos by GH 

No comments: