Friday, April 16, 2010

Birdhouse Spotting Pt 2: Would you make a house from a kit?

On my way to the Belmont Gold Course and Copenhagen yesterday via Harry White Rd., I spotted a purple martin house made from a kit.

My reactions - the setting is beautiful, but metal birdhouses don’t impress me much, even though they’re practical for some people, cheaper than wood in some cases, and the birds don’t seem to mind.


["I'd like to live near a pond too": photos GAH]

Beauty will always be in the eye of the beholder and rescued barn board cannot be topped, in my opinion.

The lone occupant of the martin house flew off after I parked my bike and I’m pretty sure it was just a sparrow.


["Would metal houses get a bit warmer than ones from wood?"]

Farther down the road I spotted a large, numbered box on a telephone pole and thought it might be a duck box. I’m not sure. A small bird flew out, and it was no duck.


["I spotted 3 like this - from a set of 10?"]

Later in the day I spotted one more metal purple martin house (in Port Bruce - same kit design). I'm still not impressed, but am thankful people are making a good effort to take care of birds.

I also spotted two more green duck boxes, same as above. Does someone - or a government ministry - have a birdhouse route?

I’ll try to find out.

.

No comments: