Thursday, April 29, 2010

The search for a fine glass of beer continues

Today I definitely found one.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, 12 fluid ounces, 5.6% alc./vol., a gift from my son (so - and this is important - no cost to me), delightful taste.


["I love my Guinness glasses. They were free as well": photos GAH]

Many say, free beer always tastes good, to which I would reply, not always. For example, I wouldn’t turn down a cold Bud on a hot day if offered, but I wouldn’t ever buy it because it holds no appeal for me.

Sierra Nevada - as soon as I smelled it I knew I would like it. Nice pop in the nose.

There are no additives, says the label. Only the finest malted barley, whole hops (etc.).

I wish they said what kind of hops. The brewers (from Chico, CA) display a picture of hops but no name, and I’d like to know where the nose and taste of grapefruit comes from.


["I want to know - what kind of hops?"]

The other night my youngest son and I enjoyed a glass of ‘10 Bitter Years’ at Chancey Smith’s (sounds like it was brewed by an unfortunate pair who just couldn’t stand each other, but hung in there for 10 years. Who knows. maybe they're still together. Sorry, I digress.) and after our first sip we fell in love with it (Unlike the aforementioned couple).

This Pale Ale reminds me of that experience and I’m grateful for it.

The colour reveals a hint of orange but the first and aftertaste is grapefruit. Lovely, lovely. So refreshing.


["Everything in moderation; the second one goes with supper"]

I’ve tasted and reviewed another fine American beer (Liberty Ale from San Francisco) and would go back for a seconds of this one and that one anytime. (I just remembered. My son gave me two Sierra Nevadas for doing work in his attic. I’ll be right back.)

Thanks for waiting.

In David kenning’s book, Beers of the World, I read the following about today’s Pale Ale:

“Hops dominate the aroma with a fragrantly spicy, floral character, while on the palate this is a remarkably full-bodied, mouth-filling beer with a lively, complex maltiness...”

Though he later mentions ‘notes of orange fruit and toffee,’ I taste and smell grapefruit. Everybody gets what they get in this game, I guess.

Now, about my second fine glass of Sierra Nevada. It was stored in a cardboard box on the basement floor, not refrigerated. The head reached to the sky and the flavours seemed amplified at their slightly warmer temp.

Would I buy it myself instead of waiting to be asked to work in my son’s attic again?

A resounding, hoppy ‘yes.’

And please visit www.sierranevada.com for more details and buy it at the US/Canada border when you can.

***

Please click here to read the last beer review: Upper Canada Lager.

Milos Kral, General Manager of Chancey Smith’s Steak and Seafood Emporium, has started a blog about beer and his adventures related to finding beer that keeps me going back for more.

Please click here to read about ’10 Bitter Years.’ Poor couple!

.

2 comments:

Matt said...

With that nose likely Cascade Hops

G. Harrison said...

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the info. I suppose many beers have blended hops, but I'd find it interesting (a few others would too, I bet) to know what's in there.

Cheers,

Gord