Friday, April 23, 2010

The sweet smell of linseed oil fills the air

The aroma also gets into what's left of my hair.

How I suffer for my art!

After coating two birdhouses and the pieces for four more (duplexes) I smelled like my work. (Please click here to see duplexes before the linseed was applied.)


[“Applying stain assembly-line-style is fast work”: photos GAH]


[“Now I buy double boiled linseed oil by the gallon”]


Next, I want to attach the duplexes to tree limbs.


[“Maybe one w a feeder will be next”]

Busy times ahead, including a shower.

.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

We need smell-o-vision!

The birdboxes look lovely!

Crazylegs said...

I love the smell of Linseed oil. It reminds me of our family cottage. We boil up a batch to apply to the cottage woodwork every few years. Everyone pitches in for an afternoon of fun and ladders. It's nice memory, that Linseed.

G. Harrison said...

Thank you, Jessica. Wait 'til you see the custom trim. (Smell-o-vision = too expensive!)

GAH

G. Harrison said...

Greetings Cl,

As long as there is a breeze I can survive the smell.

I certainly like the idea of applying the oil with all hands on deck at the cottage - a memorable time, for sure.

I add a touch of maple stain to warm up the colour but so far, I work alone. Ollie should be ready to help in a few years!

Cheers,

GH