Thursday, April 15, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny Pt 1: KFC’s Double Down sandwich

“No way,” I said.

My wife said nothing.

I was channel surfing the other night and came across a report about a new chicken sandwich from KFC in the USA and couldn’t believe my eyes.

“No way. This is...” I said, then stopped and pointed, as if the chicken sandwich, the size of a breadbox, couldn’t be seen from where my wife was sitting, which was at the other end of the same sofa I was sitting on.

“This is what’s wrong with the world,” I finished.

While listening to the mini-documentary/heart-attack-waiting-to-happen-update, I learned KFC’s latest menu item wasn’t in fact a chicken sandwich.

It is two pieces of bacon and two slices of cheese smothered with the Colonel's Sauce with two fried chicken patties as buns.


["Why is it called Double Down? Do you double over?": link to photo w comments]

No regular bun. The chicken is the bun.

“You and I couldn’t finish one of those off together,” I said. “How can people eat that stuff?”

During the TV report, I saw various people, i.e., moms, dads, young children, reacting to the Double Down.

I noticed a lot of positive and surprised reactions.

“Oh, it’s big.”

“Oh, where’s the bun?

“Oh, this is so good?”

“Yeah, I like this.”

“Hey, how come there’s no bun?”

I also noticed no one reacted the way I would have reacted. Nobody asked for a fork so they could poke at it to see if it was real.

And nobody asked, “Do I really need this much meat for this one meal, or for today, or this week?”

Would you eat a KFC Double Down?

Please click here to read Pt 2.

.

No comments: