Thursday, April 22, 2010

How can Muffets make you feel older?

I visited The Red Roaster again this morning (no surprise there, right?) and while enjoying coffee I noticed that Kendra, the owner of the cafe, was eating half of a huge cinnamon roll at a nearby table with her husband and a friend.

The KFC DD, and its affects, came to mind so I said, “Kendra is enjoying a very nutritious meal, I see.”

I was soon asked what I had had for breakfast since I seemed to be the expert around them parts.

“Muffets,” I said.

“Muffins?” asked Kendra.

“Muffets,” I said again.


["How do people not know about Muffets?": photo GAH]

By the blank stares that followed, I realized I was talking to folks who were too young to know that Muffets is the name of a breakfast cereal - a whole grain cereal made by Quaker and packed with sunny goodness.

“What’s it like?” I was asked.

Well, I mentioned a few words about shredded wheat and how Muffets taste a bit like how they look - like small round bales of hay.

More blank stares.

Gosh, I felt old.

***

Does anyone remember the best kind of all - malt-flavoured Muffets (in the brown box)?

.

2 comments:

Crazylegs said...

Oh man! I haven't thought of the malt ones in years. I loved those. In fact, I'd love some right now!

G. Harrison said...

Hi CL,

If I come across the malt flavour I'll stock up. I got hooked on malt at a small dairy bar as a public school student.

One sunny day the woman making my chocolate shake asked if I'd ever had a malt shake. Wow. It was worth the extra nickel!

(Thank you, Mrs. Richie.)

Cheers,

GH