Wednesday, April 14, 2010

In the Workshop: The first duplex/feeder sold like a hotcake!

When I got to the coffee shop this morning (at a leisurely 9:30; bankers’ hours, eh) one of the staff told me how they helped sell one of my big birdhouses.

“Yeah, I told the lady how to take off the roof to clean out the top floor,” he said. “Then I turned it upside down to show her how to take off the bottom panel.”


["The first of three duplex/feeders; rescued lumber - ready for linseed oil": photos GAH]

“Hey, keep up the good work, Troy,” I said, and shook his hand with a smile, and felt - with his good looks - the kid will go far.

Thirty seconds after I sat down down with my Rooibos tea (I’ve got a sore throat - stand way back) the manager of the coffee shop asked, “Where’s the next big birdhouse? There’s space on the counter.”

“I’ll have one ready tomorrow,” I said.


["I might have to make more of these; feeders are popular"]

(Even sooner, if I break down and sell the one I was keeping to sit atop a 10 ft. post in my own backyard).

Then I said, "No, I lied. The one that will be ready tomorrow is already sold."

I've sold it, in advance, to a couple who wanted a big house plus a feeder as one unit. So, as soon as I’m done, after lunch today perhaps, I’ll deliver it to their house.


["With edging, can the roof also be a feeding surface? I think so!"]

Then I'll quickly assemble another two for the coffee shop.

I wonder if they’ll sell as quickly? Good weather is ahead and I want gas money so I can go birdhouse spotting.

I suppose, with Troy on top of things, they'll sell like hotcakes too.

Maybe I should give the kid a commission!

.

No comments: