Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Shopping: Time flies when you’re...

I already know that time flies when you’re having a good time.

Last June I motorcycled along the south shore of the St. Lawrence R. for a few hours on the way out to, and back from, Halifax, NS.

New roads and scenery. New places to stop for photos, snacks, coffee, buns with bacon and cream on top for $4 a piece.

When I stopped for the evening I was refreshed, invigorated, several pounds heavier. I didn’t care. I was having a blast and time flew by as quick as the kilometers.

I experienced something similar today while shopping (minus the motorcycle and sticky buns).

Though I was in a long line-up (or queue, according to the Scots) at Chapters, time passed quickly.


["Baggobooks - under $20. He scores!": photo GH]

I sipped a coffee, watched the crowds, glanced at the books I’d selected, sipped coffee some more and let my mind wander.

I thought, I’ll design a birdhouse in the shape of an Ontario farmhouse. I'll use old lumber and make it board-and-batten style. I’ll attach an outhouse to an outer wall and put granite counter tops in the kitchen. I’ll put in copper plumbing upstairs and down. I’ll...

I received an accidental bump from behind (I think), maybe because a cashier was waving at me. My turn.

It felt like I was in and out in mere minutes.

Sure, time flies when you’re having a good time,. But it goes even faster if you’re not paying attention.

***

It Strikes Me Funny here.

.

2 comments:

lanniedee said...

Several thoughts come to mind..I mostly buy second-hand books in great shape, even for gifts..everyone in our family feel books are treasures so they don't mind. Our library sells hardcovers for a dollar and paperbacks for a quarter..Sally Anne, full of great hardcover books..prices vary..also if I was on your gift list I'd "adore" a bird house..why not give some for gifts..I'm making a few things this year, we really should get back to that..good idea?? love L.Dee

G. Harrison said...

the books under my arm were bargain books w low prices. one I highly recommend, 'song for the blue ocean' (see Read This, side margin). excellent book and value. long one though, 400-plus pages, small type.

you're lucky, I have a couple of birdhouses set aside for you - I'm still thinking about how to get them to you. maybe spring. maybe bike ride.

birdhouses will be big on my list this year as presents. they're already done!

Cheers,

gord