Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Culture of Big: “It’s everywhere, it’s everywhere!”

[“We became addicted to a culture of big. This was wonderful when gas was cheap, but it’s not anymore.” Avi Friedman, architect and urban thinker]

Most Canadians who grew up in Canada don’t realize they speak English with an identifiable accent. And they’ll likely never hear it in their own voice until they start swapping stories with 15 people from different corners of England.

Englishman 1: Mate, you're from away, aren't you? You sound funny.

Canadian: I don't sound funny. You sound funny.

Englishman 2: Talk slower, man. Your accent confuses me.


Canadian: Get out of town!

Englishman 2: You get out of town. I live here.

(An English Pub would be a great setting for such an experiment).

If they studied French in high school, as I did, they likely speak that language with a Canadian accent as well.

Many Canadians born after 1945 don’t realize the culture of big is everywhere because they grew up in the era of cheap gas and big became the norm. The culture big is as common as the sound of one’s voice but many don’t see it.

Though I’m only 5 ft. 5 in. tall, I have to look twice before I see it. Some will think that everything should appear big to me. Nope.

Some things do and I’m going to harp about them here.

Do you notice the culture of big?

How can we shift to the culture of medium and small?

***

Photo 1: I see the culture of big


["The big toaster.": Photo by GH]

When I toast one slice, all heating elements are at work - and burning hydro while toasting my bread. Do I need such a big toaster? Where did it come from anyway?

***

Please click here for more about the culture of big.

.

No comments: