Saturday, June 25, 2011

Welcome to Harperville: More smoke and fire down your pants

Oh, it definitely strikes me funny that Tony Clement, Federal Conservative MP, president of the Treasury Board and Minister of ALL THAT ISN’T NAILED DOWN, set up a meeting recently to grill - and I mean grill over a very hot bed of charcoal - oil and gas executives.

The grilling will likely be so hot I won’t be surprised when I hear an oil baron spontaneously burst into flame.

“Can you tell me about prices at the gas pump?” he will ask them.

“I want to know why Canadians feel that prices are so high,” he’ll say.

“Help me understand why gas prices go up and down, and then up and down, and then up... but not down,” he’ll say.


[“What goes up but not down? I don't know.”: photo link]

Back in May he said, “All I know is that prices are going up and down and sideways and nobody knows why.”

He continued, as quoted in a news article:

“No one can understand how last year when oil was $140 or $150 a barrel, gas was at $1.37 a litre and now that oil is south of $98 a barrel and yet we’re paying more. No one understands how that can happen.” (May 12, Toronto Sun)

The article continued:

That doesn’t mean, though, that Clement is itching to take any specific action that would lower prices immediately.

That I believe. And two other things come to mind.

By grilling a few sides of beef, Tony will learn he was right. No one understands. No one knows anything. Probably not even oil and gas barons. Tony will ask his heated questions and come up empty. But he will blow smoke and fire down your pants.

Also, I get the feeling that Tony’s BBQ party with the oil and gas barons is nothing more than a photo op, a way for Tony to look like he gives a hoot about the average Canadian - other than those in his very wealthy riding.

Now that “Cement-hands” Clement, Pres. of the Treasury Board, is being investigated by the RCMP for the alleged misappropriation of G8 Summit funds, he will need all the help he can get to look good.

Canada, welcome to Harperville, the land of smoke and fire down your pants.

***

Please click here for more Smoke and Fire Down Your Pants.

.

No comments: