Saturday, June 25, 2011

Live Small and Prosper: PT 4 London - The Healthier City

[“We became addicted to the culture of big. This was wonderful when gas was cheap, but it’s not anymore.” Avi Friedman, architect, urban thinker, June 2, The Londoner]

If it’s not impossible - and it’s not; it will just seem that way - London should begin the process of adopting the culture of medium and small in as many ways as possible, as soon as possible, if leaders and residents desire it to become a healthier city.

Whatever aspect of life comes up for discussion, whether related to our needs (such as food, clothing, shelter) or wants (such as transportation, communication, recreation), we must find ways to allow the culture of medium and small to take precedence over big.

Of course, some readers may have guessed I was going to say something like that. They know well enough that “live small, live simply” is my motto. And it’s fair of someone to ask, how can a dominant culture be reversed?

I’m not entirely sure. I’m going through the very slow process of just getting my own house in order. I’m decluttering, I’m reducing my spending, I’m paying down debt, I’m saving for the tough times ahead, I’m trying to walk with a small footprint and make sound environmental choices so my grandkids will have a chance to enjoy some of the many aspects of life I enjoy myself, I’m trying to stay fit and healthy (and get healthier) while having a bit of fun at the same time. But I’m barely scratching the surface of “a completely healthy life” (let alone “healthier”), in my opinion.

That’s right, I haven’t lost the extra 15 pounds attached to my waist, haven’t signed up yet for that half-marathon or faster 10 km. road race.

Still, by thinking medium (or thinking small, in place of big) on a regular basis, I think it wouldn’t take long - three weeks, tops - for the culture of medium to take root.

Let me give you an example.

Recently, I read a letter to the editor that decried the use of large tracts of fertile farmland for huge single-family homes on Col. Talbot Road in London.

“Why is prime agricultural land not being protected from developers? In this age of global warming, which is causing havoc on the weather and crops, rising global demand for food, and grain is being used as fuel, does no one at city hall care that prime flat agricultural land has been destroyed so that a few privileged people can sit in huge homes in what is quickly becoming less than a country setting?” (June 23, G. Hokansson, London Free Press)

Let’s apply the culture of medium to the huge homes on valuable agricultural land.


Can developers not be encouraged to replace 200 - 300 huge homes (“And now I see they want to add more stores and double the number of homes to 1,200,” says the letter writer) with medium-sized homes or a group of medium-sized apartment buildings? Some agricultural land could be preserved as a park or green space in the process.

If the next 5 or 6 developments included a parcel of small to medium homes and apartment dwellings the green space preserved would deliver many benefits to new residents.

And if the size of Talbot Village’s “monster No Frills” and aforementioned “more stores” (the writer refers to both) was trimmed by a medium amount, say 10 - 20 per cent, then the variety and choice of services and products could still be offered while preserving even more green space and accompanying benefits.

Before long the following type of conversation would be a common occurrence:

“Daddy, why do we live in a smaller house than the Joneses?”

“Maddy dear, your Mommy and I thought it was important to contribute several hundred square feet to the green space we’re now cycling through to get to your friend’s house. Isn’t it great?”

“Give me five, Dad,” says Maddy, who understands the concept of square feet better than most adults.

(The father and daughter duo exchange a high five once safely off their bikes and after matching helmets are stored in - you got it - matching backpacks).

The culture of medium and small will work out even better in hundreds of other examples.

Stay tuned.

***

Please click here to read Live Small and Prosper: PT 3 London - The Healthier City.

.

No comments: