Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ollie and Me: “Papa, why are they called strawberries?”

["The most plausible origin for strawberry in its earliest reference to the Woodland Strawberry is as a name for plants growing at ground level (like straw spread as litter) irregularly distributed as the result of the spread of achenes (strawberry seeds) by birds and animals--two interrelated senses of being strewn." Dr. Sayers, www.strawberriesforstrawberrylovers.com]


Yesterday, while happily searching for, picking, and popping a few strawberries into his mouth at Millar's farm, west of Lambeth, Ollie asked, “Papa, why are they called strawberries?”

I didn’t have a clue, so I didn’t answer. Also, it’s impolite to talk with your mouth full.


I know strawberries have been linked with straw for a long time. My father grew strawberries for many years in his very healthy gardens and scattered straw around his rows of plants - for some reason. To inhibit the affects of frost? To inhibit the progress of slugs? I don’t know. But strawberries don’t derive their name from this old agricultural practice, say the experts.

Next, Ollie’s excited voice and spontaneous exclamation made me smile.

“I actually found a strawberry! I actually found a pink strawberry!”


[“I actually found a strawberry!”]

After several minutes his plastic basket - actually - held only a few strawberries so Nana and I - actually - helped him out. But, as we bent double to search under the thick patches of leaves, we - actually - found it impossible to muster the same kind of enthusiasm.


[“Lisa Kooistra weighs our baskets. Good fun for the price”: photos GH]

***

Please click here for more Ollie and Me.

.

2 comments:

lanniedee said...

where are my berries? I am not sure why the straw between the rows but I'm guessing when it rains it keeps the dirt from splashing on the berries and when you sell berries, people often kneel down so it cleaner and easier on the old knees..the berries sure look tasty..love L.Dee

G. Harrison said...

hi LD. I expanded on the strawberry episode w Ollie to make a column for next week; the story includes the time I set the straw on fire in dad's patch in Norwich. you can check my column online next Wed. or Thurs., you might get a kick out of it.

Keep well,

Gord