Tuesday, August 19, 2008

It Strikes Me Funny: True Canadians can squeeze their own oranges

In an earlier post concerning some of the myths related to the use of bottled water I asked the following disconcerting question(s):

Where is our self-reliance, ability to squeeze our own oranges, appreciation for the environment, creativity - and willingness to think outside the bottle?


So many answers, eh?

I think one of them is:

We live in such a hurry we buy “conveniences” thinking we’re buying time too.

Sometimes we are, a few seconds here and there, along with a host of environmental challenges that end up in landfills and waterways.

Lately, like many True Canadians, I’ve been squeezing oranges in an old juicer, adding water and ice, pouring the results into a travel mug or thermos (total time - 5 minutes) and sipping it throughout the day.

I take the thermos on many short motorcycle trips.


I enjoyed the ice cold orange juice as a cheap treat (about $1.00 less than coffee) while walking Port Burwell’s beach recently.

Next week, maybe I’ll squeeze up some strawberry lemon juice.

.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

How much do those oranges cost that you squeeze? Can you get Tropicana orange juice up there? The plant is here in Bradenton, where I live.

If you get it, it is expensive. It's expensive here. Once, when I was in Monte Carlo, I went into a little store and saw Tropicana there. I told the shopowner that I knew the man who had started the company. His response? He must be a very rich man.

And he was.

G. Harrison said...

hi beverly,

oranges are still a pretty good deal here;

a dozen juice oranges - $2.49 and down

navels - $2.99 and up.

we do get Tropicana and it is expensive. i squeeze one orange, add water and ice and voila - a very inexpensive drink for my thermos, much cheaper than bottled water - which i do go on about!.

cheers,

gord h.