Monday, May 30, 2011

Austerity without Anxiety: What will $150 buy me?

Based on experience, $150 will buy me 10 motorcycle trips to Port Bruce, including one cuppa Joe at the Beach Hut.

(I know. The Beach Hut burned down a few years ago. What is the new place called?)

It’s not that I have $150 to burn, but I saved at least that much this morning because I didn’t call a plumber to fix a 15-foot length of clogged drain.

$150 buys me 75-plus cups of coffee at The Red Roaster in Wortley Village, but instead of walking to the coffee shop this morning, I chose to get my own hands dirty for a change.

Honestly, I hate getting my hands dirty with black, sticky, stinky, slimy, sludgy goop, but $150 buys me a summer’s worth of hockey with a good bunch of guys.


So, I opened the drain, cleaned as much as I could with a 4-foot-long snake, then realized I needed to call a plumber with better equipment or come up with my own solution.

150 bucks buys me an hour of a plumber’s time ($75 or more just to invite him into the house for coffee) or skate sharpening fees for the rest of my hockey career.

I came up with a pretty nifty plan of my own.

I attached two 8-ft.-long sections of cedar strip with a splint (made from a paint stir stick) and cleaned out the pipe myself in less than an hour. Fifteen minute’s worth of clean up is all I now have on my plate before lunch time.




["Clean up needed. I hate getting my hands dirty but...": photos by Dirty Jeans]

$150 also buys me 15 games of Monday hockey whenever a spare is needed.

At 4:15 today I’ll be playing right wing for a change.

Awesome.

No. I don’t make house calls.

(And, no. I still don't have $150 to burn, but one game of hockey is a pretty good reward for saving a plumber's fee.)

***

Austere. Frugal. Cheap. Handy. They all work together at times to save us money.

Did you get your hands dirty and save money recently? Let me know.

Please click here to read more Austerity without Anxiety.

.

No comments: