Monday, May 16, 2011

Dad’s Navy Days: PT 6 - A door opens at the King’s Arms Hotel

John Woods, a columnist from Scotland recently wrote to say he is willing to do a story about my father’s mishap in Scotland (1941) “to see if it stirs a few memories.”

He requested a few details about my father. I sent the following:

My dad, Gordon Douglas Harrison (Doug) died in 2003 and I buried half his ashes in his hometown, Norwich Ontario, early in that year. 

However, only last summer did I dispose of most of the ash that remained according to a promise I uttered. I wrote two columns about last year's adventure (I can send along if you're interested), and future articles will be written. (Book? Movie deal?)

I've since discovered he visited relatives and a pub in London, England at Christmastime, 1942 and served at another training center in British Columbia, 1944.

If the Irvine and London pubs are still standing I may have to do my own tour.

For now I'll get to the task of typing up his 'Irvine adventure'. Cheers, Gord


Mr. Woods got back quickly with a few more interesting details. He wrote:

Hi, Gordon, Think I've cleared up something for you.

During the war years there was no such pub as the Harbour Lights - it was then known as the Victoria Bar and was run by the Dobson (or Dodson) family. It changed its name to the Harbour Lights in the 70s or 80s.

However the Kings Arms Hotel in the High Street, across the river and about a mile away, was owned by a man called Alf Skinner so it would seem that this is where your dad was taken.

It sits right in the centre of Irvine and is one of the oldest and best-known hostelries in the town

Certainly the picture you've sent shows the Kings Arms - albeit taken a good few years ago.


It hasn't changed all that much and I'll send you a more up to date pic ASAP.

Got the info from May McEwan who does a "Down Memory Lane" column for the Irvine Herald and is the font of all knowledge about things past in the town.

This tidies things up quite nicely and lets me write a decent tale.

John.

It was then I asked John to send me a copy of the news story once it hit the streets and he recently obliged.

More to follow.

***

Please click here to read PT 5 - A door opens at the King’s Arms Hotel

.

No comments: