Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bird Watching: Neighbourhood cats - you’ve been warned

Chickadees have nested in a cedar tri-plex just meters away from my favourite chair on the back deck.

Today I’ll add “watch for baby birds” to my list of spring activities.

The adult birds have cleverly built an attractive nest from materials found close at hand.




["Hey, cats. These birds mean business": photos GH]

For example, when I open the birdhouse door, I see mounds of moss from our own yard. I see twigs and long, thin branches that might be from a cedar hedge in a neighbour’s yard. And I see, to top everything off, strands of hair that might be from - that I hope are from - the rumps of several local cats.

I’m scoring it, chickadees 1 - cats 0, and cheering for the birds to keep up the good work!

***

Please click here to view recently built birdhouses.

Please click here for more Bird Watching.

.

No comments: