Wednesday, July 16, 2014

East Coast Photo Files

Trip Day 10 - June 18, 2014

["I stayed put in the evening (note taking...)"] 

 Canadian Forces Base Halifax Stadacona


June 18 was my second and last full day in Halifax, and on that day I had one main item on the agenda, i.e., to walk to Canadian Forces Base Halifax Stadacona (Gottingen St.) and spend time at the Naval Museum found in Admiralty House there. As it turned out, while lunching at Tim Horton's on the base, the heavens opened, buckets of rain poured out, and I not only felt strongly inclined to stretch out the lunch hour but later to remain indoors at the museum - examining artifacts and photos - until closing hour. The time was not wasted.

More photos help tell the tale:

["Front entrance to naval Museum"]

 ["My father signed on in Hamilton (1941, HMCS Star), trained later in Halifax"]

 ["I was allowed onto rooftop to view 'B' (Officers') Mess and harbour"]

 ["'A' Mess (for ratings', e.g., my father) is gone now, new buildings on old
site, e.g., a Tim Hortons. Photo taken from same rooftop as 'B' Mess"]

["'B' Mess closed to public but back door was unlocked... so..."]

["Inside 'B' Mess all floors, walls are updated. Only narrow halls remain"]

["'B' Mess front door is still original to the building, as below"]


["The long walk home in the rain passed by this fine structure.
Photo from a.m., taken under gray skies and thick rain clouds"]

["Such a fine monument in honour of those who served and fell"]

I returned to my hostel on Barrington St. by 5 p.m., soaked but ready for supper, and I stayed put in the evening (note taking, sending off emails, sipping Propellor IPA) because of an early departure time. The return half of my journey started early next morning.

Link to East Coast Photo Files

Photos GH

No comments: