Wednesday, July 2, 2014

East Coast Photo Files

Trip Day 5 - June 13, 2014

["Highway 16 took me in a straight line to the coast of N.B."]

From Fredericton to Cambridge Rd., PEI

For the first four days of riding I travelled on highways I'd taken four years earlier on my way to Halifax, to bury my father at sea. This year, on Day 5, I started covering new ground after passing Moncton and turning left for Shediac and the shortest route to the island. New roads always excite me because unfamiliar scenery, horizon lines and bends in the road keep the mind alert. (The poor condition of some 'new' roads made me think once again of how big Canada is and how extensive and expensive is our transportation system for the millions of gas-powered vehicles we own. Taxes will likely have to go up some day in order to maintain them in better condition. Maybe trains will make a come back?)

["The Confederation Bridge, 13 kilometres long, stands ahead of me"]

After crossing The Confederation Bridge I soon saw why the island had captured the imagination of two of my sisters. Rolling hills, red soil, big skies, quaint villages, pretty homes, a new beginning. I thought, I could live here too. Sweet. But my wife and I are too set in our ways and have it pretty good in Wortley Village, Old South London.

Still...

After riding the 430 kilometres from Fredericton to Cambridge Rd. (in some cold and rainy weather), I spent the next three days relaxing (a bit), riding around the eastern end of PEI and enjoying island life. My stiff hinder parts thanked me.

Photos from along the way:

 ["Once off the bridge I stopped to gaze at freshly ploughed fields"]

 ["I am on Peters Rd., heading toward Cambridge Rd. and my sister's house"]

 [Lannie in front of Cranberry Cottage. "Eat all the spuds you want."]

 ["Lannie and Jim love their out-buildings. So do I. I want one"]

["They will feel more at home once everything is in its place"]

["I thought this would be my wee cabin but I was invited indoors"]

Link to East Coast Photo Files

Photos GH

No comments: