Sunday, July 27, 2014

The Workshop

Rietveld Jig


I've been making Rietveld chairs periodically over the last few years after seeing pictures of them in a book about Adirondack chairs. The Rietveld crate chair stood apart from Adirondacks and I knew they were for me. All straight lines. Measure, cut, sand, assemble. Right up my alley. Shortly after viewing the photos I drew my own sketches - with my own measurements - and the rest is history.

["One seat rest coming up"]

["All straight lines and 90 degree angles"]

["Voila"]

The jig I created is the simplest you will likely ever see, i.e., one piece of plywood w a right angle nailed into place. The four components, i.e., right and left support w arm rests, seat, and back supports (made from 18 pieces of cedar, pine, or both, etc.) can be easily assembled atop the jig, and the four finished sections joined to make one chair upon the shop floor. Easy kap-easy... almost.

And how do I calculate the jaunty angle at which the seat and back are put into place? Trade secret. (That being said, google 'rietveld crate chair', go to images (you'll see some of my photos in the large mix), and study where people are placing screws to connect the seat to the left/right supports w arm rests. Then, make an educated guess.)

 But it's comfy and sturdy - and I think Gerrit Rietveld, original creator of the chair, would give me a 'thumbs up'.

Link to The Workshop

Photos GH

No comments: