Tuesday, July 8, 2014

East Coast Photo Files

Trip Day 8 - June 16, 2014

["The bike, snuggly strapped down, in the belly of the whale"]

From PEI to Halifax, Nova Scotia

I boarded the Wood Island ferry at 9:15 a.m. - first in line, the only motorcyclist - 15 minutes before departure time, strapped down my bike, exitted the belly of the whale by walking up a long flight of stairs and sat down near a window seat. But I was soon outside on deck taking pictures of PEI receding into the distance and looking through gloomy conditions to what lay ahead, i.e., a landing dock near Caribou, just north of Pictou, Nova Scotia.

 ["Behind me, PEI"]

["Ahead, Nova Scotia and dreary skies"]

I was sent off at the head of a long line of cars and trucks and was soon biking on one of the prettiest highways of the trip, Highway 4, the old Trans-Canada. I caught glimpses on several occasions of the new Trans-Canada Highway on my left and always felt the same - glad to be on two lanes and not four - all the way from Central West River to Bible Hill. Except for two gravel trucks behind me (for a couple of minutes) trying to make up time I would have given the highway five stars. 

 ["Climbing Highway 4, with the new Trans-Canada just to my left (below)"]


Once I reached Truro I searched for Highway 2, south to Halifax. I found a gas station, filled up, asked for directions and was told to just turn left out of the station, onto the road 10 metres away. For once I wasn't even close to being lost and soon determined my destination was an easy 100 kilometres away. 

Photos from along the way:

 ["Heading south to Stewiacke and Shubenacadie on a scenic road"]

 ["The sun tries to peak out at Fletchers Lake, not far north of Halifax"]

["Like in my 2010 photo of HI Halifax, I unloaded right
in front of the beautiful, three-storey hostel"]

["I was soon enjoying a cup of tea in the hostel's shared kitchen"]

Quick link to more East Coast Photo Files

Photos by GH

No comments: