Wednesday, October 29, 2008

57 Days: Can you stay out of the malls that long?

Counting down yet?

I’ll help. There’s only 57 shopping days left until Christmas and, more importantly to some, the utterly excessive Boxing Day sales.

For some reason, fortunately I say, this whole shopping gig goes right over my head. (I’m 5 ft. 6 in. tall, so a lot of stuff does.)

For me, Christmas is family time, a day to sing, whisper a silent prayer and be very grateful I’m alive.

And if my family and friends like their homemade or small gifts all the better.

Boxing Day is for tidying up the house, popping the lid off a fresh can of cashews, reading a book or magazine and hoping nobody finds me until I’ve had my fair share of nuts.

About the upcoming 57 days:

I’ll make my traditional short gift list and tell my family to do the same. (I’ve been after everybody to keep things small for over ten years and they’re actually catching on!)

You won’t see me in a mall.


[Most of what we buy ends up at the dump: photo by GAH]

(Wal-Mart has everyday low prices? Tough. I refuse to shop there for many sound reasons. 1. I don’t want to encourage that type of retail. 2. China is their biggest supplier. 3. I’d rather borrow, barter or buy secondhand.)

Instead, I’ll be in my workshop.

Will you stay out of the malls this year?

.

4 comments:

bobbie said...

Yea! I found someone else who refuses to shop at Walmart! People keep telling me, "But their prices are so good!" Sure they are, because they sell junk. And their name brands sell the same price as all the stores. I don't like the way they treat their employees. I don't like their politics. I don't like the way they push the little guy right out of business.

And I so agree with you about keeping Christmas a quiet, family thing.

G. Harrison said...

very good comment, bobbie.

i think the little guy is in trouble these days due to the super size of many retail outlets in urban centers.

though I live in a city of 400,000 i'm still a small town boy, so to speak, and like to support small stores that fit with my mindset.

gord h.

Theresa said...

Yup, I will not be at the mall this Christmas either. Last year I was totally mall-free and it was wonderful! We've stopped doing gift exchanges in our family except for first Christmases and first birthdays and it's working out quite well. We spend time together visiting, playing board games and having delicious home made baking instead of unwrapping a pile of unneeded presents. The money we used to spend on presents now gets donated to two local food banks and an animal shelter. I've got nothing against giving in the spirit of the season, I just want to give to those in actual need.

I have nominated you for a bloggy award, Gord, if you participate in those sorts of things. Feel free to come over to my blog if you would like to collect it. I can guarantee that no Walmart products were used in the production or distribution of this award! ;)

Mojo said...

Malls suck. I've known this for years. I visit the one near me if I need something from the tool department at Sears. Because the only Sears in town is at the mall near me. And those Craftsman hand tools can't be beat. Same warranty as Mac or Snap-On at a quarter of the cost. I digress.

I will admit to being seen in one of the local mega-malls once this summer. I was meeting a young lady for a movie, and since dinner wasn't on the calendar I went to the food court to find some ... food.

But 363 days of the year (more in a good year) I'll pass on the mall. And you won't find me within shouting distance of one except under duress for the next 57 days.

I don't make gift lists. If you are gracious enough to bestow a gift on me for some reason, I will be grateful for it whatever it is. I have everything I need and most of what I want already. Anything else is gravy.