Thursday, October 30, 2008

Wal-Mart Madness: I’m not alone in refusing to shop ‘til I drop

Sure, every once in awhile I say something about Wal-Mart (“Too big for me! Yuck! Supercenters suck!” etc.).

Like yesterday. It’s in my genes.

My dad used to say to me, “If you want cheap you can buy cheap.”

Thirty seconds later the fender would drop off my new bicycle or whatever.

Now I know what he meant and every time I think of North American consumption habits I think there’s a terrible price to pay for chasing everyday low prices the Wal-Mart way.


["Let's dial our spending back a bit."]

Bobbie left this great comment:

Yea! I found someone else who refuses to shop at Walmart!

People keep telling me, "But their prices are so good!"

Sure they are, because they sell junk. And their name brands sell the same price as all the stores.

I don't like the way they treat their employees.

I don't like their politics.

I don't like the way they push the little guy right out of business.



And I so agree with you about keeping Christmas a quiet, family thing.


So I’m not alone.

What would be the benefits if more people (I won’t say ‘consumers’ - it’s a degrading word) dial it back a bit this year?

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard the lunchtime call-in programme on CBC1 yesterday. Did you catch it? I thought it was terribly depressing. One of the callers was talking about their home-made Christmas and the "Expert Economist" (the way I heard him) basically said, well, if everyone does that, then what's going to happen to our retail sector and consumer confidence? "B*&*#r consumer confidence" thought I and "yay for the homemade Christmas". The problem with Walmart and the like is that you can, and do, spend way too much and buy too much stuff - whcih is just tat and harms those poor children overseas. I remember watching the Walmart movie and feeling more and more guilty - and then when the young Chinese girl appeared and showed us her living quarters and told us about the products she makes and how they have to behave when "inspectors" come round, well, my eyes filled with tears. I showed that clip to my son and explained to him that we won't be going to Walmart anymore and that was why I didn't want to buy him so much Stuff.

Sorry about this ramble - but I just wanted to say one more thing - we saved up for and bought a second-hand Toyota Sienna last year and it's wonderful. I want to put a sticker on it "If North American cars were made this well, then I would buy one" to fight back against the "Out of a job yet, keep buying foreign" stickers I see on Dodges. It cost us a fortune, but we intend to use it for ever. No fenders falling off this car!

Theresa said...

I agree with Jesse - I am no way obligated to support this screwed up, greed-ridden, plastic-crap-producing economy.

I've been trying to take back the word "citizen." I'm making it a point not to use the word "consumer" anymore, because it is degrading just like Gord says.

G. Harrison said...

'citizen' was the word that came to mind when I tossed 'consumer' out of my vocabulary.

great minds think alike, theresa.

i think jesse's comments are based on such good common sense. e.g. honest reactions to the Wal-movie, her own bumper sticker, for two.

she should start a blog entitled 'Jesse's rambles'.

cheers,

gord

Theresa said...

Jesse should definitely start her own blog - she's written her first post right here in this comment section!

Anonymous said...

No way!

I do have a blog but it's more of a daily family diary consisting mainly of cute video clips of the children for the grandparents back in England to follow. That's why I just post as Jesse here as I don't want anyone else to see it.

Anyway, thank you for your kind comments. It's Gord's post that spurred me into an opinion. Normally I don't venture one publically.

bobbie said...

Well bless your little heart, quoting my comment in your post. Glad you liked it, and glad to hear others agreeing.