Thursday, October 2, 2008

Brainstorming about how to lower food costs makes me hungry

Can I reduce my costs related to food, clothing, shelter, transportation and recreation?

For example:

Can I eat less?

Less processed or manufactured foods, fast-foods and restaurant meals? Less foods that come from over 100 miles away? Less meat?

I’ll give it a try.

Except I won’t give up Reese’s chocolate-covered peanut butter cups. Not right now, anyway.

I could also learn how to make more than oatmeal, whole wheat buttermilk pancakes, omelets, spaghetti and killer sandwiches.

Hey, by reading the soup recipe book I was given by Jill Wilcox, owner of Jill’s Table on King Street, I bet I could learn how to make soup and become more self-reliant at the same time.


["There is no end to great soups!": Photo/recipe link]

And though a man cannot survive by bread alone perhaps by making my own bread I’d save some money. (Is that true?)

I could use the lumber from the dump (see previous post) to make a bigger bread box.

I’d say more but my wife just pulled muffins out of the oven.

Reducing food costs may be a challenge.

How do people do it?

.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if you'd save money making bread, but you'd have a lot of fun! Making bread is an addictive journey - and I mean by hand, not using a machine. Making bread by hand makes me more appreciative of the ingredients, the process, the texture and the taste. So I eat less of it too, because I want it to last longer.

G. Harrison said...

thank you for your thoughtful input, jesse.

we had a machine but it was returned because we didn't use it at all.

i've made onion and herb bread in the past, loved it, and that's where i'll start. by hand.

maybe the learning process and hands-on approach will become addictive. it sure works for me in the shop.

if you have an easy recipe to share, don't hesitate!

cheers,

gord h.

ps buttermilk was okay this time 'round by the glass!