Monday, October 20, 2008

Reduce our Christmas spending? What a novel idea

My recent columns re reduce-reuse-recycle keep opening up new doors.

I interviewed the author of The Virtuous Consumer [see Read This in margin] and felt what she said about reducing our consumption of ‘stuff’ seems particularly timely because many Canadians are now doing so - not all happily or willingly by any means - due to rising food and energy prices, and there are growing numbers of others who are reducing purchases in order to get off the cycle of unnecessary shopping.


["Do I need to go to a mall?"]

About a group that follows a borrow, barter and buy secondhand philosophy Leslie writes:

What (some) have discovered is that by stepping out of the malls, they’ve found more time for friends and family, more time for experiences that enrich their lives.

One member said, “It’s simple. Getting our consumerism under control comes down to one question: Do I need this? The answer frequently is no.”

That's another timely message. (And another door to a possible interview.)

Only 66 shopping days ‘til Christmas and I don’t think I need a thing.

How about you?

Are your thinking of a smaller Christmas this year?

.

2 comments:

bobbie said...

Definitely a smaller Christmas this year! Even if I didn't want to do it, the money simply isn't there. In the past year, I have also turned to baking a batch of brownies or cup cakes to give as birthday gifts, etc. They have been well received. I'm still inclined to want to give more to my 3 year old grandson. It's hard to resist buying toys for the little guys. But the grown ups aren't getting toys from me any more.

G. Harrison said...

my son said last night, "So i guess we're getting you nothing this year."

my idea about a small Christmas is catching on.

I think home-made cookies or brownies or reused or recycled gifts are fine too i.e. an old piece of lumber for my workshop.

should be an interesting year.

cheers,

gord h.